Batteries are crucial for the working of any mechanical thing. Whether it is a car or inverter you will need a battery to power it for the proper functioning. Deep cycle battery is a lead acid battery and is the type of battery that is most commonly used in electrical appliances. The type of battery comes in various categories viz. wet batteries flooded batteries, gel batteries and absorbed glass mat batteries. Irrespective of the type of battery you have, there are certain points that should be kept in mind to ensure the long-lasting life of the battery and to ensure the proper functioning of it. Click here to see
Here is a list of do’s and don’ts that you should keep in mind, while taking care of the battery:
1. Let the Battery Cool: Once you have charged the deep cycle battery let it cool before you put it to work. During the recharging process the battery experience heating which may lead to increased grid corrosion. If cooling is not allowed then the increased grid corrosion may contribute to battery failure.
2. Quick Charging In Between: Mean times we quickly plug in the battery foo charging while we are also tend to make use of the battery. The quick charging eliminates the cooling time as a result the battery may get seriously damaged.
3. Charging Wet Battery Charger With Gel Cell And Vice-Versa: The wet battery calls for higher voltage, which may cause dry out or battery failure to gel cell or vice versa for wet battery. A wet battery requires high voltage for proper charging and in the absence of high voltage, the battery never gets fully charged which may lead to sulfating.
4. Electrolyte Falling Below The Plates: As a responsible owner of the deep cycle battery, you should never let electrolyte fall below the plates as it may damage the battery and contribute to reduced capacity.
5. Storing The Battery: Battery should never be stored in a discharged state. Moreover, sulfate formed during the discharge should be cleaned time to time as excess of sulfating while make it impossible to recharge the battery completely.
6. Use Of Distilled Water For Wet Batteries:The serviceable of wet batteries should be filled with distilled water for effective charging of the battery. However, if the electrolyte in the battery is above the plates then extra water should not be added as it may bubble out electrolyte of the battery. The electrolyte tends to expand during charging, therefore, water should be carefully added to the battery.
7. Corrosion Free: Corrosion forming on the tops and terminals of the batteries should be removed from time to time. If not cleaned then it may cause the current to shift between the posts, leading to increased rate of self-discharge.
The aforementioned are some points that should be kept in mind to increase the shelf life of the battery. An active deep cycle battery is more likely to work efficiently for a longer duration as compared with an inactive one. Even if the battery isn’t in use, make sure that you are charging regularly as batteries discharge quickly at higher temperatures as compared to colder temperatures. Read best cheap car batteries reviews in detailed to choose